Monday 8 February 2016

Scents, Sounds and Sights of Kenya!

There are many wonderful things in this country to enjoy.  Some of them are very simple and free for the taking.  The first that comes to mind is one that I experienced as soon I stepped off the plane and it always seems to be there lurking in the background!  It is the smell of wood smoke!  As soon as the plane doors opened I could smell the smoke of wood fires and as I sit here tonight I can smell them still.  Many people use firewood for cooking and no matter where you are there seems to be a whiff of smoke in the air.  I find it comforting, reminding me of the farm, wood fires when camping and the smoke from the fireplace in my home.

In much the same way, sounds are everywhere too.  I think that perhaps, my favourite is the variety of birdsong found throughout the country.  We Canadians enjoy a melody of song birds in our spring and summer but during the depths of winter it is noticeably absent.  Almost every morning on this trip I have been awakened by the sounds of birds; music to my ears.  I have a few audio clips of bird song to share and when I can access Youtube I will upload them and attach the link here.

https://youtu.be/P5ZG8Tqjqos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JtTIPJCp-A


The sights of Africa are too numerous to mention.  You have seen many pictures, already, of the flora and the fauna, pictures of people and structures.  Below I will attach a few unique sights and signs which have caught my eye along the trail.  They tell their own tale.  I hope you enjoy!
Look Closer

This one is for you Ms. McLeod!

Safety Sign at the tea factory

What a great name for a gas station.
Well balanced!

In the town of Narok, no less!

She is here!

Very effective road sign.
This one is for you Adrian.  We love J.J. and it seems Babu did not move back to Pakistan!

When was the last time your school bus got stopped in traffic like this?


No comments:

Post a Comment