Wednesday 17 February 2016

Do You Believe in Magic?

Here is an interesting story that happened even before I left.  A few days before my big trip , my Dad had a leak in his apartment and the carpet needed to be replaced.  I offered to pack up the apartment for him so that moving his furniture would be easier and the process would be less stressful for him.  Dad and I spent a whole day packing.  There was an accumulation of stuff from 32 years of occupancy and much of it had not been sorted for some time.  Dad handed me a bag of old recipe clippings, for example, and I took them home to peruse later.
That night, at home, I looked at the yellowed clippings, saved by my mom over many years.  Some I kept and others were discarded.  A large folded sheet caught my eye and as I opened the full page from an old newspaper I saw that it was covered with recipes.  However, when I went to put it aside a picture on the back caught my eye.  It was a photo of Karen Blixen, a women who lived in Kenya during colonial times and the focus of the famous movie, my personal favourite, "Out of Africa".  I could not believe it.  The hairs on my arms stood on end.  You see, this article was all about her and her life in Kenya.  She was a character that I had read a lot about and in fact, part of my upcoming trip itinerary included the opportunity to visit her home, now a museum, in Karen, Kenya.  How ironic that mom cut out this page of the newspaper in 1986.  How ironic that the full article was found on the back of a page of recipe's that caught her eye.  And how ironic that I would discover this long forgotten treasure just days before I would visit Karen's home in Africa.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment