Wednesday 17 February 2016

More Kenyan Stories: A Simple Gift!

Now that I am home, I am backtracking a bit to share a few stories that I did not have time to include earlier.  The internet is unreliable throughout much of Africa and often the processing speed presented a challenge.  Uploading a few pictures could take an hour or more so I could not share all that I wanted to.  In some places Youtube was blocked so I was unable to share video until now.  
On the day that our group visited the St. Catherine's Primary School and the Ramula Secondary School, I experienced a great moment of connection.  At Ramula we were all introduced as were the teachers of the school and members of the Parent Council, who were present.  One woman, a grandmother, was a retired teacher and a member of Dan Otienno's family.  When the group broke for refreshments she sought me out, in part because I had been introduced as an elementary school teacher and she wanted to swap stories, as teachers often do.  In the course of our discussion, she mentioned that she was a Primary teacher and she still loves to volunteer her time at the school.  She said that she loves to read to the children but that unfortunately, she has had trouble seeing the words as of late.  Those of you who know me well, can see the lightbulb going off, as I realized that her problem was not one of increasing blindness, but rather a need for reading glasses.  I felt the top of my head but my ever-present glasses were not there.  I ran back to the bus, found them, and met her outside to test my theory.  First I handed her a juice box from my lunch and asked her if she could read the print.  I recognized her familiar squint as she tried to focus.  Then I gave her the glasses and she tried again, "Passionfruit", she said, beaming.  The smile on her face and the hug that I received were gifts that I will cherish for a lifetime.  I gave her my glasses that day and now she can read.  A simple gesture but oh, so life changing, for both of us.  

""Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."  Margaret Mead

No comments:

Post a Comment